Nov 24, 2010

An example of Simplicity


I'll start with a nostalgic game: Phantasy Star I. Around the year 1993, my cousin presented me a game that I had no idea that would change forever the way I see the games. And how fascinating they can be when you engage in a fictional reality where everything you want to do is just to participate more and more of it. See what end the adventure of Alis, Odin, Myau and Noah will come.

Putting the story as a strong point, we arrive at the most important that is its simplicity in gameplay. The combination of the player's motivation to see what happens next, with few commands / actions possible in the game universe such as: Do Alis walking on the map, when in combat Choose an option from the menu : Attack, Magic, Item, Talking, Running. That's it. This is enough to create an RPG so memorable and beloved by those who have played and know what I'm talking about. The player does not care if the options are few. He did not even watch it.

The fun is produced. The art even for a Sega Master System is beautiful is it not? Distinct. And who does not remember the tune of the mazes more difficult? Just below will drink a toast to you.


   



I brought up Phantasy Star I, my friends, to warn us of something. Surely you already have noted the games nowadays. Today, the RPG games are disposable. Increasingly empty, repetitive and long. What do you think happened, for example, with Final Fantasy after the edition X? There is even a reflection in sales. Search on google there will not be hard to find.

I bring to the discussion: Why do RPG games from the past like Final Fantasy VII, VI, Chrono Trigger, Phantasy Star I are so good, call us so much attention and has a replay so appealing? While today's technologies as promising as the future PCI Express 3.0, bring us pleasure in the eyes only? (There are always exceptions).

Of course, I'm not saying to go back to 8-bits. It is not just a technology issue. It is a question of game design. What should the RPG today learn from these good old classics? What should be thrown away?

I believe that there is no final answer to this, friends. And without much thought and research we can not reach a consensus. Anyway, here is a thought. An idea called Simplicity. And maybe she can be a kick-off for the RPG today.

Since this does not happen, You Can Play the oldies you like.
Recall here the intro of Phantasy Star.



Cya soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment